Labels

` (1)

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Empathy and atomic energy!

I just watched a video by an artist who defined empathy as the collapsing of two perspectives into one.  I was so excited by this concept, because as we give grace to another, part of the mechanics of giving grace is sharing how a person's experience is similar to an experience that you have had.  You accept them and let them know that they are not alone in their experience.

For instance, a person might share about the shame they felt because of an act that they did.  Recently, I had a person share with me about failing  and the shame it caused them to feel.  As I shared with them a similar experience that I had, we gained a connection with one another.  I also think he went away with more energy because of that connection.  Energy to change a behavior, knowing that this act, this failure did not define him, but was simply a blip, a momentary slip that he could get back up and keep moving towards dreams that he hoped for.  The connection gave him more energy for his dreams, so that he could continue.

So in particle physics and quantum mechanics, when you have two hydrogen's combine to form one helium, you have atomic fusion and some of the energy that went into holding those two hydrogen's together, is no longer needed to hold the new helium together and its released.  It is what powers a hydrogen atomic bomb.  I was so excited when I made this connection.  Two completely different systems that behave the same.  One a system of atomic quantum mechanics and the other a system of human behavior.

Both where two collapse into one and both where energy is release.  The similarity makes me smile when I think of my faith in God, who created everything.

No comments: