Labels

` (1)

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The world belongs to the energetic!

“The world belongs to the energetic.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

It’s easy to blame our failure to meet our goals or to live our dream lives on a lack of energy, and we don’t always stop to think about the quality of energy in our lives. Yet we can choose to create and manage our own energy flow.
Think of an instance when you’ve been so involved in an activity that you’ve lost track of time, and then identity the passions and energies you were feeding. Who was there with you? What were you doing? What will you do to make time for moments like that one more often?

What a statement, the world belongs to the energetic.  I love when I see passion.  Passion is the same word for energy in my way of thinking.  When we have passion for something, it makes it to the top of our priority list.  We seem to have enough time for the things we are passionate about.

This concept of creating and managing our own energy flow is also very interesting.  I recently was reading a book on quantum particle physics.  I know that I am a total geek concerning my passion for this science.  And to be honest I have just a little passion for it.  Enough to buy a book on the topic, and certainly enough to read most of the book, but at some point in the middle of string theory, the math went over my head and I lost my passion and didn't finish the book.  But what I learned in the book are a couple of things.  One, which I already knew, is that matter is made from energy.  What I did not know was that energy is made from nothing.  Really, when energy is made, anti-energy is also made at the same time.  These two things, energy and anti-energy, form and dissolve all the time.  And we really don't know how this mechanism works, except that sometimes it does work, and in fact this is happening in the middle of space all the time.  So you have this piece of space with nothing, and then matter(energy) and anti-matter(anti-energy)  will form from the nothing, and then quickly combine again to make nothing again.  It is really cool to think about.  Now where it gets really cool is sometimes this matter and anti matter get swept into different dimensions, which physicists think is how our universe was created.

I don't know about all that, but what I do know is we can create energy.  God put that ability within us.  And that we create more energy when we are working within our purpose for which we were created.

So when I am talking to another person, helping them understand what God is like, and who they are in Christ, and how the mystery of the ages affects them, when I am doing that, time seems to pass by without my notice.  I have seen myself grow, I am not sure I know how to describe this growth, but it includes seeing the world in a different fashion, seeing myself in a different light, seeing God in a different light.  It involves me accepting more responsibility, and believing I am free.  Free to be guilty and free to make decisions.  It involves seeing that I am secure in who I am because of the actions of Jesus and not my own. With that security, I am free to be and accept responsibility for myself, for my experience.  I am also free to bring out my whole self into the light.  I am free to delight in God's creation of myself.  Free to enjoy the things he has brought into my life.  The gospel is a treasure that is seemingly too good to be true.

So as I ponder on what causes me to have energy, it is these things I have written about.  They are involved in my purpose as a businessman, an engineer, a husband, a father, a grandpa and a Christian to help others grow and to have more energy and delight in the things God has called them to.

1 comment:

Brett Barton said...

I'm so glad to hear that you were overwhelmed with the math when reading about string theory. I started at least 2 books on that subject and quickly realized that I was not even able to grasp the basics of what was being discussed. I find quantum physics/string theory fascinating and may even refer to it in my next blog posting.

I do like your energy-passion analogy and believe that a very real exchange occurs when you do those things you were created to do.