Labels

` (1)

Monday, September 12, 2011

Transformation

I have been captivated by Romans 12 for the last two months.  "Do not be conformed to this world but be transformed"!  Conforming is what water does to a glass.  It takes on the shape of the inside of the container.  Another way to look at it is the water takes a shape because of external forces put upon it by the container. 

Websters defines conformity as an action in accordance with some specified standard or authority.  Wow,  could we get any closer to a definition of the law, or moral behavior?  This definition even fits with the glass, if you define the roll of the glass as an authority.  In the case with the glass of water, gravity causes the glass to be authority.  If you were in space, a glass would not become an external force causing the water to take its shape, but simply a barrier the water could not travel through.  But without gravity, the water would not take on the shape of the glass.

Now for the definition of transform.  Webster's says that transform implies a major change in form, nature, or function.  Another one of Webster's definitions is to change in composition or structure.  So the transformtion that Romans 12 is calling for is a change in our nature.  The question then becomes, does doing change our nature?  If we do the law better does our nature change?

So the truth that I have been delighting is that Romans is calling for us to be radically changed, rather than radically conforming to some set of rules.  And I know of only one way to be radically changed, which is to be born again.  This born again thing, is something that does not happen by my doing, rather it happens by my faith.  Now James points out that faith without works is nothing.  Many go to this argument when wanting to continue to pursue the law.  But all that James seems to be saying to me is this, if you really have faith, you will really have transformation and really will do those things that one with a new nature would naturally do.

Transformation happens when we agree with Paul in saying, oh wretched man that I am, but we don't stop there.  We continue on to the statement in Romans 8, there is now no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus.

But the issue that I find with life, is this.  We all are trying to be perfect.  We all are working to find the path where we don't sin anymore.  Where life always works.  Where we no longer have conflict and troubles.  We read books to find this answer.  We change churches to find the type of preaching that will make us better.  Cause our life to be better.  But no matter how long I work on finding these answers, I continue to bump against this principle that is stated clearly in 1 John.  Its this, if you say you have no sin you decieve yourself and the truth is not in you.

The truth that I cannot escape is that in this life we will have a duality of the new creation and the sinful flesh.  We cannot become sinless.  We cannot stop causing messes in our own lives, with our own mixed motives.

But the good news is that getting fixed does not have to be our goal.  It is the great conundrum of life.  As I trust God and His gospel, He transforms me.  He redeems my sinfulness.  He causes things to work for me, so that when I strip the bark this way, the goats are born so that they are mine.  And when the rules change that way, it still turns out in my favor.  This all happens with humility and faith.

1 comment:

Russ Hardesty said...

Scott I really like your description of being shaped by our container vs. being transformed.